Wednesday, May 22, 2013

SoapDoc::Init: Cannot set inout buffer


A while ago I was setting up some SOAP connectors for our BI guys. I went into the SICF transaction and activated the connectors they needed.

They called me back, complaining that they would get this error message in the SOAPUI:



<p>URL http://xxx.xxx.xxx:yyyy/sap/bc/soap_sap-client=zzz call was terminated because the corresponding service is not available.</p>

I investigated. I tried to go to the webpage and see if it would return anything to me. I went into my browser and disabled the "nice error messages" option, so I could see it all. I then went to the URL and found:

 

My users immediately complained that "there's an error - Look it says cannot set inout buffer, the problem must be in the ICM, you fix it". But I didn't actually call the interface with any data. So it was just returning what it was asked.... An XML with absolultely nothing in it. Sending data through the interface would make the error go away.

Lesson learned: A "nice" error message is problematic, but a misleading one isn't any better ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment