Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Reorganization of update date not allowed in batch

Or the story of how a spelling error in an error message can send you on a wild goose chase.
Today, one of my colleagues came to me and was worried about a job, SAP_REORG_UPDATERECORDS, that seemed to cancel everytime it ran, along with several other jobs.I started my investigation, and I found that we had a LOT of DB13 jobs and SAP standard jobs that had apparently been scheduled with no regard to what was actually needed. Some jobs even attempted to start an online backup. I started deleting the superflouos ones, but wondered a bit about the SAP_REORG_UPDATERECORDS. Surely a reorganization job would still need to run. I looked at the job log, and lo and behold, there was a nice and shiny error following the very first jobstep:



So I figured, hey, this is ofcourse somewhere in an OSS note. But nooooo. My dissapointment was obvious. untill I found note 1558304, which describes that a translation error had taken place:

Wrong English Text: Reorganization of update date not allowed in batch
Correct English Text: Reorganization of update data is not allowed in batch

Armed with the knowledge that this was infact just a regular update that wasn't allowed in batch, and had nothing at all to do with the date, I referenced note 67014 which basically states that you shouldn't really do update reorganizations at all. And I could now easily argue the fact that someone apparently forgot to delete the SAP_REORG_UPDATERECORDS job from the list of standard jobs in SM36. So I deleted all scheduled jobs, and deleted the job definition from the list of standard jobs, as suggested in note 16083.

Isn't it nice when SAP actually has notes for all of the stuff ? Even though sometimes there's a really long path leading there ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment